“We are pleased to announce that the evacuation order for the community of Kingston is lifted at noon today (Thursday, June 20),” said Silver Fire Incident Commander Matt Reidy. “This (restriction) is lifted for residents of Kingston only.”
“The residents have been very understanding, and their cooperation was appreciated during this trying time period,” he said. “We understand residents have been away from their homes and are very anxious to return.”
Special entry permits are being issued at the Hillsboro Volunteer Fire Department to Kingston residents only. The area will remain closed to everyone except residents until further notice.
Meanwhile, a persistent hot and dry weather pattern over the last week remains over the Silver Fire. Firefighters, however, have managed to hold the 36,500-acre fire within containment lines, but the blaze continues to grow each day.
The fire will exhibit the same smoke pattern as the past several days. The most active part of the fire is in the north, and moved as much as two miles on Wednesday.
New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez and key staff members were briefed on firefighting efforts at the Silver Fire Incident Command Post on Thursday morning.
Firefighters continue mop up operations, indirect line construction, and are aggressively engaging the fire where appropriate and gathering intelligence on both the east and west flanks.
Silver Fire resources as of Thursday afternoon include five helicopters, five 20-person hotshot crews, four 20-person hand crews, 15 engines, one dozer and eight water tenders for 511 personnel.
Helping to coordinate traffic control and other duties……